Creating a Successful School Year……
Creating a successful school experience for our students does not happen by accident. It requires planning and the wise use of resources. We also need a partnership among community, schools and families to create the positive environment where students will be successful.
More than 900 persons are employed in USD 308 and are dedicating their lives to help young people successfully advance through school with academic, emotional and moral support. Excellent teachers, custodians, secretaries, paraprofessionals, food service and maintenance workers, administrators, counselors, technology specialists, coaches, school board members and others provide support to the learning process and are invaluable contributors to the success of our students.
Our families are the primary partners in success for students. We encourage families to provide an environment to support kids in school by doing the following:
- Talk with students about school and express interest in their learning and their activities. If possible, try to have at least one time every day where parents and students spend time talking and enjoying one another’s company without social media or outside entertainment.
- Provide students a good place to study and encourage them to schedule time to accomplish homework and prepare for tomorrow’s lessons.
- Make sure they get a good night’s sleep prior to school days.
- Expect and demand regular attendance. Regular school attendance is the best predictor of good job attendance and is often the most significant routine necessary to stay in school and to keep a job.
- Remind young people to treat others with respect and kindness — just like they would like to be treated.
- Keep an open line of communication with the adults at your child’s school. Don’t wait until something is wrong to build that positive relationship with those who are working with your child.
- Every day tell your children how much you love them!
A community alone, school staff alone, parents alone will not ensure student success. Only when we work together will we lead our young people to expect and prepare for a successful and enjoyable adult life. We have the resources and the opportunity to make this school year great for all our kids. Let’s do this together!
Email Gary Price