Visual Arts Mission Statement
The Hutchinson Public Schools Visual Arts program is vital to each student's comprehensive education.
There are four elementary art teachers in the district. Each of us travels to two schools on a rotation basis to provide teachers and students with demonstration art lessons. The National Art Education Association recommends "each elementary student receive art instruction from a certified art teacher for at least 100 minutes per week per year." Since there are only four elementary art teachers in the district, the art lessons we offer are designed to model an art activity and are not meant to be the students only art exposure. With our limited time, we strive to give our students:
- Quality DBAE (Discipline-Based Art Education) lessons,
- Integrated art lessons with subjects or topics that are taught in the classroom,
- Lessons based on the National Standards for Art (see below)
- An exposure to the Elements of Design and
- Recognition for Youth Art Month in March
Elementary Art Mission Statement
Elementary Art provides knowledge, skills, and experience in art that young children need.
The National Standards for Arts Education
"What Every Young American Should Know and Be Able to Do in the Arts"
Content Standards for Visual Arts Education
- Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
- Using knowledge of structures and functions
- Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols, and ideas
- Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures
- Reflecting upon and assessing the characteristics and merits of their work & the work of others
- Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines
For a complete list of standards for the visual arts, visit the Kansas State Department of Education's website: http://www.ksde.org/
You are welcome to come and visit an art lesson, volunteer, and /or donate items that can be used for an art activity.
Thank you to the following kind people and companies that support our school's art program with their gifts of materials and/or expertise: