The 2021 Commencement exercises will be held on Sunday, May 23, at 2 p.m. at Gowans Stadium. In case of inclement weather, our alternative plan is to hold the graduation ceremony in the Sports Arena on the same day and time. The announcement for that change will be made no later than Friday, May 21st. We are committed to providing a graduation format that promotes the health and safety of our graduates and their families.
Each graduate will be allowed eight guests. We will also be live streaming the ceremony for those that cannot attend or are medically compromised (link information for the live stream will come out in a future communication).
Graduates need to be at the Salthawk Activity Center on Sunday, May 23, by 1:15 p.m. to get lined up. To make this the special day that it is, a few key points of information are outlined below. Please take the time to read it with your graduate and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.
We are encouraging all families to wear masks and practice social distancing. Please make sure you sit at least six feet away from others in Gowans.
- Graduation practice is at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, May 21, we will begin in the Salthawk Activity Center and move to Gowans Stadium once we have made a few announcements. We should conclude by 10 a.m. This is mandatory for any student walking in the ceremony. Please be on time so we can end on time.
- All credits and graduation requirements must be complete before a student is allowed to participate in the ceremony.
- Diplomas and student awards will be distributed in the SAC after Commencement. The diploma cover received during the ceremony will be empty. Students with obligations, fees, missing books/materials, etc. will not be able to pick up their diploma.
- Commencement is a dress up event. Graduates should wear long pants or other attire suitable for church or other similar occasions. Gowns and hats must be worn and decorations or other attachments/accessories will not be permitted on gowns or hats.
- Family members, including children of the graduate, may not walk across the stage or be seated with the graduate during Commencement exercises. Students may not take anything across the stage with them.
- The gates to Gowans Stadium will be open to the public at about 1 p.m. Seating is first come first serve.
- To help make this a special and enjoyable event for all in attendance, we ask that you refrain from using air horns or other noisemakers. Applause is the appropriate response when your graduate’s name is read.
- Please remain in the stands throughout the commencement program.
We will adhere to all state and local health guidelines/restrictions (in place at the time of the graduation) and practice safe, appropriate social distancing. Signs will be posted around the event. Please respect others’ right to stay safe and healthy by following the guidelines below.
- Do your best to maintain a six feet distance between individuals or groups.
- Wearing a mask is recommended, or required, depending on the governor’s order.
- Follow fundamental cleaning and public health practices.
- Wash your hands as appropriate.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cough and sneeze into your elbow bend (even when wearing a mask).
- Limit handshakes and physical contact.
- Stay home if you are not feeling well or are medically compromised.
Congratulations on reaching this milestone and graduating from Hutchinson High School. I am extremely proud of your hard work and determination. Please know we are 100 percent committed to offering the best graduation possible, and we look forward to celebrating this accomplishment with you and your family.