Even before we close out the current year, the time has come to talk about a healthy 2021-22 school year.

There are several things you can do during the summer to prepare for the new school year. First, if you have an athlete who will participate in Grades 7 to 12 sports, they need to have a physical done after May 1 and fill out the athletic participation form. That form is available at https://www.kshsaa.org/Public/PDF/FORM-PPE.pdf.

Additionally, state law requires all students up to the age of 9 submit evidence they have undergone a health assessment prior to entering kindergarten or before enrolling in the district for the first time. Students without such evidence shall provide one of the following per state law: 1) a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that the child is an adherent of a religious denomination whose religious teachings are opposed to such assessments; or 2) a written statement signed by one parent or guardian that such assessment will be scheduled and completed within 90 days after admission to school.

Second, there are several milestone vaccinations that must be administered prior to enrollment for the 2021-22 school year. Proof of these vaccinations must be provided to the district prior to enrollment.

There are two important vaccinations for students at the secondary level. The Tdap vaccination is needed for entry into seventh grade and the meningitis vaccine when a student turns 16.

A list of vaccinations is available KDHE’s website at

https://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/download/2021-2022_School_Requirement_K-12.pdf for K-12 requirements and

https://www.kdheks.gov/immunize/download/2021_2022_School_Requirement_Memo_Childcare_Facilities_and_Programs_Operated_by_Schools.pdf for preschool requirements.

Vaccinations are available locally at the Reno County Health Department, doctors’ clinics and many pharmacies. Make sure you get a copy of all vaccinations and share that with the district. Doctors’ offices and others do no automatically share this information with the district.

Contact your health care provider for physicals, vaccinations or general health questions.